Safari is a web browser developed by Apple. It’s the default browser for Apple operating systems. Safari browser first appeared in 1993 and has been regularly updated since then.
While Safari is not the worst browser available and does relatively well in terms of online security, here are a few reasons you may wish to disable it and choose a more secure variant:
- Apple, which owns the Safari browser, has been caught in the past collecting users’ browsing history even when the users use private browsing mode.
- Most of Safari is closed-source, which means that we can’t see its code and check whether there are no backdoors or other suspicious stuff.
- Apple also participated in NSA’s PRISM program, which collected communications from various tech companies. This is an additional red flag regarding the privacy of Apple’s products.
- In 2018, Apple made changes to Safari’s content blocking functionality. The changes affected developers of ad blockers because it was no longer possible to offer the same protection as in other browsers. The changes limited the blocking rules that restricted the features of some ad blockers. Safari’s rendering engine, WebKit, prevents users from installing products with full ad-blocking functionality.
Why should I disable Safari on my iPhone?
As we’ve mentioned, Safari is a great option for people that want a safer browsing experience. However, it doesn’t manage to accomplish this perfectly and there are many other browsers that simply do it better.
- Safari doesn’t have as many customizable options. When compared to third-party browsers, Safari pales in terms of customization and additional features. It’s a very bare and basic browser that people use since it comes with their phone, but that doesn’t mean you have to stick with it. There are safe browser options that can also provide new useful features to improve the overall experience.
- You have too many programs on your computer and want to clear up some drive space
- Safari has trouble with some websites and services. In particular, Safari seems to suffer in terms of performance when it comes to Google services such as search and occasionally Gmail and Google Drive. If you’re a heavy Google services user, then Safari isn’t a great browser of choice due to a lack of stability.
- Safari doesn’t get as many frequent updates compared to other browsers. This ultimately makes it more vulnerable to exploitation, especially if you’re using an old version of the browser on an iPhone that hasn’t been updated yet. You also don’t get frequent updates that can improve the functionality or features of Safari.
These are some of the most common reasons for disabling Safari from your iPhone. Of course, you might have personal reasons why you may want to do this. Regardless of the reason, let’s explore how you disable Safari and also what you could use as an alternative
How To disable Safari browser on iPhone or iPad running on iOS/iPadOS 12 and above
- Head over to the Settings app on your device.
- Go to the Screen Time option menu.
- Tap to enable Turn on Screen Time. You will get a welcoming guide for the first-time using Screen Time. Make sure to read the guide carefully, then click on the Continue command button.
- Now tap on Use Screen Time Password.
- The next step will require a screen time passcode. Go on and create one, then retype to confirm it.
Note: You can save it externally in case you forget before getting used to it.
- Next, go to the Content & Privacy Restriction menu.
- Toggle to enable the Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Click on the Allowed Apps option down the menu, then scroll to the Safari app and turn off its toggle.
That’s it. Safari will now be hidden from your device. You can check your iPhone or iPad for the Safari app.
Can I delete Safari from my iPhone?
Unfortunately, Safari is a core application for iPhones, meaning it cannot be permanently deleted unless you were to make modifications through jailbreaking. However, this simply isn’t practical for most people, and it’s much easier to simply disable it by enabling the above restriction. The Safari App Icon will disappear from your Home screen after disabling the setting above.
Restrict internet access on Safari
There are various reasons why we would want to disable the Safari app on the iPhone.
An iPhone has almost complete, unfiltered access to the Internet, and you might be worried about what your child may read or view with their device. Safari browser can take an iPhone user to almost any website on the Internet. If you wish to block access to the Internet via Safari, then the guide below will show you how to do so.
Note that this will only block Internet access through the Safari browser. Other Web browsers, such as Chrome, can be used instead. If you want to prevent all access to a Web browser from the device, then you will need to delete any Web browser apps that were already on the device, and you also need to turn off the Installing Apps option on the Restrictions menu.
- Tap the Settings icon.
- Scroll down and select the General option.
- Scroll down and select the Restrictions option.
- Touch the green Enable Restrictions button at the top of the screen.
- Create a passcode that will be needed to return to this screen to adjust any of the settings. This passcode can be different from the one used to unlock the device.
- Re-enter the passcode that you just created.
- Toggle the button to the right of Safari to turn it off.
- Now, when you return to the Home screen, the Safari icon should be gone.
How to disable Safari on iOS 11, and earlier
Now that all your searches, logins, and other browsing data are gone, let’s turn Safari off:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Tap “Screen Time”.
- Press on “Content and Privacy Restrictions”.
- Enable “Content and Privacy Restrictions” by clicking on the switch next to it.
- Go to “Allowed Apps”.
- Disable Safari by clicking on the switch next to it.
- Once you’re done, you will no longer see the Safari icon on your home screen and won’t be able to use it. But if you ever change your mind, you can bring it back anytime by the same procedure.
iOS 15 is proving to be a trouble-creator for many of the iPhone owners out there. Since its launch, users are reporting issues with one or the other app or feature on their iPhone. Some users are unable to access the new additions to the list of features like SharePlay, while others are facing issues in some basic apps and functionalities like Phone App.
In Apple’s Help Center, many users are constantly complaining about not being able to browse the internet with Apple’s default browser.
The easiest way to disable Safari on your iPhone is to set up Screen Time on your phone. Go into your Settings app, Screen Time, and then tap Content & Privacy. Turn On Content & Privacy Restriction. This is a feature typically used by parents to control what their children can or can’t use on their phones. However, it’s also a great way to make certain apps like Safari disappear. Go to Allowed Apps and Turn the Switch for Safari OFF.