Download Apple Safari for Mac OSX
Safari, as the default browser, comes pre-installed on all Apple devices. It doesn’t even allow the browser to be uninstalled, and it is only recently, they have only allowed other browsers to default in the ecosystem.
Some users like developers, however, might need a beta version of Safari, but don’t want to upgrade to the pre-released macOS beta to try things out.
Apple has an app called the “Safari Technology Preview”, which allows users to try out new features.
If you want to try the new version of Safari, without upgrading your machine to the version of macOS under development:
- Open Safari on the Mac device.
- Navigate to the Downloads site of the Safari browser.
- Choose the Safari betas, click View downloads.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click View Details, under Safari 15 beta 1.
- Click the Safari 15 beta DMG file.
- Install the application
Once the app is done downloading, install it, and you’ll now have the Safari 15 beta on your macOS machine. Whenever there are updates available, a prompt will always appear from the System Preferences. Just download the latest beta to keep the most up-to-date version of the app.
Download Apple Safari for Windows OS
The Apple company stopped updating and releasing newer versions of the Windows operating systems. The only option is to install an older version of Safari on Windows 10 or 11, although due to compatibility and security-related issues, it is not recommended anymore.
Another thing to keep in mind however is, since the version is deprecated, it is no longer available in the official source.
Apple halted the development of Safari for Windows in 2012. The final version of the browser, Safari v.5.1.7, is freely available on the internet, and it is easy to access to download and install.
Other than being very slow and dated, it lacks compatibility with most web apps and poses security risks. You also can’t sync your browsing data, so it’s not a solution if you want to access bookmarks and passwords.
Steps to follow:
Download the Safari installer from a software download portal such as “Uptodown” (https://safari.en.uptodown.com/windows), “Filehippo”, or “TechSpot”.
Its size is almost 36.71 MB.
- After downloading to the local machine, double-click the downloaded “SafariSetup” executable file.
- Click Next on the Safari Setup’s Welcome screen.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next to continue.
- Specify to add Safari as a desktop shortcut or not.
- Skip when prompted to make it a default browser on your computer. Select Next to continue.
- Pick an installation directory, or leave the “default folder path” and select “Install”.
- Wait for the Safari installer to finish installing Safari on your computer. Then, select Finish.
How to use the latest Safari versions in Windows?
The only way you can try out Apple software that’s not compatible with Windows 11 is to install virtualization software.
Various virtualization software tools are available for Windows platforms, including VMware Workstation, VirtualBox, and Hyper-V.
Without virtualization software, however, you’ll have to settle for Safari 5.1.7 on Windows 11. It might be an old version, but it still includes good navigation options for web browsing nonetheless.
Overall, it’s quick and easy to install Safari in Windows 11, with minimal system requirements.
Download Apple Safari for Linux OS
Go to the terminal and input the following command below:
Sudo apt install playonlinux
(when prompted, enter Y for yes).
After it finishes, go-to applications to search for playonlinux, then click on it to open it.
Click on the “install” button
On the search box, type in safari, then click on the safari icon, then click install.
Follow the instruction on the installation wizard.
On the step to choose the installation method, click on the “Download the program”
After you reached the finished button, click on it, to open the browser.
Download Apple Safari for Chromebook
First, enable Linux mode.
Now open the terminal, then copy and paste each step up to the fifth;
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
sudo apt install nano(this will install the nano editor if it is not installed already)
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
(CLICK ENTER), this will open up the installed nano editor.
- Navigate to the bottom using the arrow keys, then copy the two commands below, then paste them in the editor.
deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ buster main
deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/Debian_10 ./
Next press CTRL X (to save change), then Y (to agree on changes), and click ENTER to confirm
Next, copy and paste again the remaining command on the terminal, one at a time
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys DFA175A75104960E
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
And you are done.
- A pop-up window will appear on the screen, follow the instructions to install the wine application
- Now go to the safari download page to download the Safari browser (the latest safari version to date is version 5.1.7).
- Copy the file to the “Linux Files” directory, then close the file manager.
- Next, open the terminal and enter “wine SafariSetup.exe” to find the file.
- A safari installer will pop up, follow the instructions to install it.
Once done, you can now launch the browser on Chromebook.
Bottom Line: Safari for PC
Safari is one of the best modern browsers. It comes equipped with tools fully suited strictly to the Apple ecosystem.
This version of Safari, on Windows and Linux, is quite old and prone to many web vulnerabilities that have already modern browsers have no issues with. This means using the old versions is not recommended and is exclusively discouraged to be installed or used in other devices other than Apple devices.
This can only be utilized by developers or designers who need to confirm compatibility or to support a particular end-user experience with the older Safari PC browser.