The STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION shows up due to unspecified program code request access for memory without proper authority. Alongside this error code, an error message usually shows up, saying “Aw, Snap! Something went wrong while displaying this webpage.
Generally, the “STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION” error code can be temporarily fixed after several refreshments of the webpage.
Run Browser as Administrator
Running the browser with administration rights will give permission to access restricted parts and fix the STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION error. But remember that this may cause some security flaws.
You can simply run Google Chrome by right-clicking and selecting the administrative right, but this only applies till the browser is closed.
To make it permanent,
- Navigate to the Chrome Desktop shortcut and right-click on it.
- Next, click on the Properties option.
- Then, in the Shortcut tab, click Advanced.
- Check the box Run as administrator and click OK.
- You can now readily launch Chrome using the desktop shortcut with admin rights.
Update Google Chrome
To avoid the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error, check that the browser has the latest version.
- Go to the menu above (the three points),
- Click on Help, and click on “About Google Chrome”.
- There you will have information on whether you have the current version or you might need to update the currently installed version.
Rename the chrome.exe File
By changing the name of the Chrome EXE file, we can also solve errors of this type. It is a quick and easy process. Sometimes conflicts are created due to the name.
- Go to the location where Chrome is installed.
- Right-click the browser icon and click on the Open file location.
- Next, go on and change the name of Chrome.EXE and rename it to anything else, e.g., “Chro.EXE”.
Disable Installed Extensions
One of the most useful features of the Chrome browser is its functionality to use the extensions, and drastically improve the way the Chrome browser works.
However, the same extensions, or some of them, can cause issues if they are faulty in any way, and lead to errors like STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
- To check the extensions, navigate to the settings menu
- Click on the Extension option below on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Now disable all the extensions and start activating them one by one to be able to tell which is the culprit causing the error.
- If the issue gets rectified, the cause will definitely lie on the extensions installed, identify it(them) and delete.
Switch to a Stable Version
Canary versions, also known as unstable versions of Chrome, have bleeding-edge features that often cause this error. Make sure you are using the stable version of the browser.
Use the No-Sandbox Flag
The primary reason behind the STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION Chrome error code is Sandbox. Use the no-sandbox flag to help fix the issue.
This method will effectively fix the STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION error code that occurred in Chrome. Note that it is always risky to put your Chrome out of the sandboxed state.
Below are the instructions on how to go about it:
- Navigate to the Google Chrome desktop shortcut and right-click on it.
- Select the Properties option.
- The chrome-Shortcut Properties window pops up on the screen.
- In the Shortcut tab and click on the text in the Target field.
- Type in “–no-sandbox” at the end of the text.
- Finally, click on Apply followed by OK to save the changes.
Disable RendererCodeIntegrity Feature
Windows 10 PC has a feature to prevent any unsigned code from interfering with the browser’s web pages. Many users who disabled the RendererCodeIntegrity feature fixed the STATUS ACCESS VIOLATION error.
- Navigate to the Chrome desktop shortcut and right-click on it.
- Now, click on the Properties option as shown.
- Then, in the Shortcut tab, go to the Target field and add a space, and type –disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity.
- Now, click on Apply >
- Press OK to save the changes and check if the issue is resolved.
Reset Google Chrome Settings to Default
If the previous steps have not given any positive results, we can revert the browser settings back to the default status.
To do this:
- Go to the menu, and enter Settings,
- Then, Advanced option.
- At the bottom, we will see the button that says “Reset settings”.
- Click on it and head to the menu on the right side and click on it too to show a pop-up window
- Click on the “Reset settings”, and press OK to confirm.
Reinstall Google Chrome
If none of those mentioned above methods have helped you, you can try reinstalling Google Chrome. Doing this will fix all the relevant issues that might be affecting the browser.
Tip: Back up all favorites, save passwords, bookmarks and sync your other Google account(s). This is because uninstalling Google Chrome will delete all the saved files.
To uninstall Chrome from your Windows 10 PC, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Start button in the bottom-left corner of the screen
- Next, click on the gear icon to access the Settings menu
- Now click on Apps
- On the list of apps, find Google Chrome and click on it
- Click Uninstall
To re-install Chrome on your Windows:
- Open any browser that you have on your PC
- Go to the download page
- Download Chrome
- Locate the file, on the Download folder and double-click on it
- Run the file when prompted if you want to do so
- Give the app permission to make changes on your PC, click Yes
- The installation will start, just follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
- Launch a site and check if the issue is fixed now.
Create a New User Profile
Follow the below-mentioned instructions to switch to a new user profile and delete the existing one.
- Open the Chrome browser
- Click on your Profile icon.
- Select the gear icon in the Other profiles menu
- Then, click on the Add icon.
- Click Continue without an account.
Note: Click Sign in to log in using your Gmail account.
- Here, enter your desired name and choose your profile picture and theme color.
- Now, click on Done.
To delete the pre-existing user profile:
- Follow the above steps to navigate to the profile icon.
- Click on the same gear icon as above.
- Hover over the user profile which wanted to be deleted and click on the three-dotted icon.
- Select the Delete option
- A prompt will pop up displaying, “This will permanently delete your browsing data from this device”.
- Proceed on by clicking Delete.
Update Network Drivers
If the current drivers in your system are incompatible with the browser, then you will face this error code, and it is good to update your device and drivers.
- Type Device Manager in the Windows 10 search menu.
- Double-click on “Network adapters” to expand it.
- Right-click on your wireless network driver (e.g. Intel(R) Ethernet Connection Adapter) and select Update Driver, as depicted below.
- Next, click on Search automatically for drivers to automatically download and install the best available driver.
- Now, the drivers will update and install to the latest version, if they are not updated.
- If they are already in an updated stage, the message saying The best drivers for your device are already installed will be shown.
- Click on the Close button to exit the window and restart your PC.
It is always advised to use your system in its updated version. This will help to remove bugs if they are found in your system
Below are the steps to guide update the system.
- Press Windows + I key simultaneously to launch Settings.
- Click on the Update & Security tile
- In the Windows Update tab, click on Check for updates button.
- If a new update is available, then click Install Now and follow the instructions to update.
- Otherwise, if the Windows is up-to-date, then it will show You’re up-to-date message.
Switch to Different Browsers
Using a completely new browser can help you in resolving the issue. If you’re facing an error in Chrome, you can try Microsoft Edge or Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla Firefox is a pretty good option to use, as it also provides the facility to import data from other browsers like Chrome and Microsoft Edge if you have been using them interchangeably.
In case the same issue keeps recurring even after all the above solutions have been deployed, switching to another alternative browser will be the ultimate solution. There are few browsers like chromium derivatives that provide flawless operation under the Chrome ecosystem.